Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Got disconnected. It's about Leo from before. Eye infection.

Customer Question
Got disconnected. It's about...

Got disconnected. It's about Leo from before

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Eye infection. Been treating since Thursday night with drops. Also has an upper respiratory. The swelling in his eye lid has gone down revealing a white film over his eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes it's a cat named Leo, 4 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Leo

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I don't see a prior post from you. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that causes the upper respiratory symptoms including conjunctivitis you're seeing. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. The over the counter (available in some feed stores or online except in California) ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as Leo continues eat, drink, and act normally in spite of his symptoms, he doesn't need to be attended to by his vet. The white film you're seeing is his third eyelid which protrudes over the cornea (clear window of the eye) in an attempt to protect it. It will return to its normal position when the eye normalizes. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.