Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Guinea pig, She is 5.5, and we just discovered she has a…

Customer Question
She is 5.5, and...

She is 5.5, and we just discovered she has a couple of bladder stones. She's always had reoccuring "bleeding" in her urine from time to time, but this is the first time I actually noticed her in discomfort. Our vet is now treating her with antibiotics and pain medication. If she feels pain now, is there a chance it will subside? I was told we may be able to treat with pain management, but when at the vet yesterday, she wasn't showing pain (and she is today for the first time).

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the guinea pig?

She always had crystals in her urine since she was young.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your guinea pig has bladder stones and is appearing in pain. I am sorry to hear about that. First, can you please tell me the names of the medications you were given by the veterinarian?

Baytril and meloxidyl
The just seemed to start today.
Pain

Thank you for that information. Meloxidyl is a pain medication and is probably the best one to use in this situation. There are a couple other options such as gabapentin or buprenorphine. Tramadol is not very effective as a reliable way to reduce pain. The best solution may be to surgically remove the stones.

What is the typical cost. I do know it varies. also I was told with females It can be sometimes managed by pain management is that correct? Does the pain ever subside?

You may also add in more leafy greens, bell peppers, other water containing vegetables to try and increase urination to empty bladder. Increasing water consumption and urination may help to reduce pain from the stones hitting the bladder wall.

She typically eats and drinks a lot. However today, since she is in pain, I notice she is not eating much. I am feeding her a watery version of critical care in the meantime
Watery to ensure she gets a decent amount of fluids

The stones never go away unless they are surgically removed. They can come back as well. Costs to remove the stones are likely to be $400-600. Some guinea pigs can be managed with pain medication, but if that fails, or if she is bleeding frequently in the urine, then surgical removal is the best option. Also, antibiotics are not typically necessary if there is no infection. Stones are not created by an infection. The pain can subside with a broader pain medication spectrum such as buprenorphine followed by gabapentin.

Do you have any other questions?

Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

How is your guinea pig doing?