Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat went in fri morning Dec 15 for yearly check up, 2 shots…

Customer Question
Cat went in fri...

Cat went in fri morning Dec 15 for yearly check up, 2 shots and fecal exam. No issues before visit. cat hasn't ate or drank water since early fri morning, walks very slowly and cries and growls if we try to pick him up, pooped and peed when we got home from the vet Friday but no more since, he is alert but acts like he is hurting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Harley is 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harley?

Male

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Harley is lethargic, sore, and not eating or drinking since his vaccines on Friday.

It sounds like he is having a low grade febrile response and likely some muscle aches secondary to his vaccines. Rabies vaccines and leukemia vaccines are two of the vaccines that we are more likely to see a low grade fever, muscles aches and lethargy for a few days after they are given, but any vaccine could cause this type of reaction .
This isn't a true vaccine reaction, that would include facial swelling, hives difficulty breathing and possible vomiting and diarrhea, so it isn't dangerous but it is uncomfortable for him.

In most cases the effects will go away on their own with time and no treatment. If your kitty is very uncomfortable though and since this has lingered longer than the next day or two then I recommend calling your veterinarian to ask for medication to help ease his discomfort. I understand they may not be available today given it is a Sunday.
But it is worth calling and seeing if they would see him or they may prescribe a few days of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory like Onsior (robenacoxib).

In the future when the vaccines he received on Friday are given perhaps your veterinarian can send him home with some anti-inflammatories as a precaution so he doesn't suffer these effects.

If your veterinarian isn't available today and he seems miserable the only over the counter anti-inflammatory that can be used in cats is buffered, enteric coated aspirin (like ascriptin). Aspirin does cause stomach and intestinal irritation and ulceration as well as clotting problems so should not be given for more than one dose and ideally should always be given with a meal.
If you choose to use it watch for continued lack of appetite, vomiting, blood in the stools or dark tarry stools and stop immediately if you see those. Do not use aspirin if your cat has liver or kidney disease or a history of a sensitive stomach or clotting problems.
The dose for aspirin is 5mg per pound of body weight orally every 3 days (72 hours) which is about one half of a low dose 81mg aspirin for an 8 to 10 pound cat.
Be aware if you choose to use aspirin and it doesn't help your veterinarian will be limited on what they can give as there must be a 5 to 7 day washout period between different nonsteroidals or nonsteroidals and steroids.

To get him eating you can offer him a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, shredded, white, skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled, plain, white rice to try to tempt him to eat. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow and get fluids into him. You can also offer meat baby foods mixed with some warm broth or warmed in the microwave.

You can also try cold packs on his painful areas where the vaccines were given for 10 minutes at a time several times a day for the next 24 hours. Then for he next few days apply warm compresses to those areas for 10 minutes at a time to ease muscle aches.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian