Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been sick for about a month with bladder

Customer Question
My cat has been...

My cat has been sick for about a month with bladder crystals. The Dr put him on antibiotics that weren't working so took him off last Wednesday and told me to switch him exclusively to the prescription diet for Urinary Care. I asked if I need to wean him on and the Vet said no. I switched him and he threw everything up. That night he kept throwing up and now won't touch the food. He also will not eat his old food and will barely eat the canned food I got him. He's not drinking much either. He has also has bad diarrhea, with watery stool. This morning it was almost black. I am not getting many answers from the vet and am not sure what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of. The vet is relating all of his issues to stress. There is a dog in my house (has been since Sept 2016) I keep them separated but I know it stresses him out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Ravi, 8 year old male

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ravi?

He has had some blood in his urine This was on Thursday

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear your cat is not eating, and having diarrhea and vomiting.

Is it his diarrhea that is black? Black, tarlike stool can be a serious sign of internal bleeding.

If you lift his lip to check his gums, are they a normal pink color, or do they seem pale to you?

If he is not eating or drinking much and is losing fluid in vomit and diarrhea, I am worried about dehydration. He may need to get some fluid therapy by IV or under his skin injections.

The stool is watery not tarlike. His gums don't seem to be different than normal. He's stopped vomiting but still having diarrhea. He won't seek out water, I have to bring it to him and wait for him to decide to drink some.

Good it is not like tar, and his gums are pink.

Try offering chicken broth or tuna juice to get liquids into him if he will drink and the vomiting has stopped.

ok. Can I offer him anything to help with the diarrhea

The best and safest medications for cats with diarrhea are by prescription. You could try 1 mg (half a tablet) of Imodium, once daily, but only 2 or 3 times.

Probiotics may be helpful. I like Fortiflora and Proviable since they are made for cats.

ok thank you

You are welcome.

Loperamide would not be my first choice, it can cause excitement in some cats, but try it once and see.