Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is receiving high steroid doses for suspected IBD.

Customer Question
How long should it take...
My cat is receiving high steroid doses for suspected IBD. How long should it take for some improvement in appetite or reduction in explosive diarrhea?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

He is a 9 year old flame point Himalayan w no previous health issues. He has explosive liguid diarrhea and no appetitie. He is at an emergency facility being treated by an internist. He has eaten very little in days. His weight has dropped but he has not been lethargic. He went virtually comatose on Thursday and was revived with high glucose in treatment.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear about Sammy's condition, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This is a very short answer I know, however, it 100% answers your question. A typical scenario would be to maintain the cat on high-level steroids for between 3 to 5 days and then depending on the response gradually taper the dose down to the minimum effective dose both in terms of the actual amount of steroids and the frequency at which they would be given. I am aware that steroids have a bad name as far as side effects go, but if you can get it down to say a few mg given each second morning as a maintenance dose then the chances of long-term side effects would be very minimal indeed.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

He has been receiving high doses of steroids all day and last evening but no real improvement. I have Chrons so understand it well. I would like to know two things.1. How long should it take for the steroids to begin working?
2. How long can he go withou
Without eating
When should we start to see an improvement?
R u still there?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. Well, individual cases vary but if steroid therapy is going to help then I would normally expect to see improvement round about the three-day mark.

2. Cats can go for a week or so without eating as long as they are getting fluids somehow, this is a concern though.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sammy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his steroid meds ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott