Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat was declawed a month and half ago... she babies one…

Customer Question
My cat was declawed...

My cat was declawed a month and half ago... she babies one paw and when she purrs she sounds raspy. just took her in the put her on antibiotics for her foot. she wasn't running a fever, so I wunder if they are guessing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Cuddles and 1yr old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Cuddles?

1 yr

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cuddles?

Not active any more holds her paw up alot

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

I agree, that it is a bit puzzling as to the reason for the antibiotics. There should be no infection in the declaw sites at this point in time, & while a respiratory infection is possible, it is unlikely that it is bacterial in nature.

That being said, it is common to try antibiotics first, although unnecessary antibiotics are contributing to the problem of antibiotic resistance in all patients, human & animal. I would be more concerned that Cuddles is experiencing pain from the surgery, a fairly common problem. Sometimes the regrowth of a nerve ending, called a neuroma, can happen, sometimes it is just "phantom pain". In either case, I would strongly recommend requesting additional pain medication for her. This can be given along with the antibiotic, and I would not wait to see if the antibiotic works first. She is holding up her paw because it hurts.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian