Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Kittens are 8 weeks old gave 1 away they just returned it…

Customer Question
Kittens are 8 weeks...

Kittens are 8 weeks old gave 1 away they just returned it now mother cat is hissing trying to hurt it. Kitten was only gone for 48 hours. Then she started hissing at the other 2 kittens that have been here since birth. I locked up mom cat. What should I do??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

The kittens don't have names yet. This was a stray Cat that we took in and has been with us since she gave birth. She was excellent mom but now she wants to hurt them

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the stray kitten?

The kitten was not a stray she came from the litter with the other kittens

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation. This one isn't an all too uncommon one. In all reality, time is most likely all that is needed here. That kitten that was returned, it most likely has an odor to it that the mother is picking up on. You could wipe that kitten down with a warm, damp cloth to help remove some of the odors that he / she may have picked up. That combined with giving mom more time to adjust to her coming back is pretty much all that is needed. I wouldn't be worried that this will be a long standing issue.

Why I'd she trying to hurt the other kittens. Will she kill them?

If she is getting upset with the other kittens, she may be having displaced aggression. Basically, they can get upset and then that is displaced onto others. What may be best is to keep her separated from them for a day or two and then slowly re-introduce them all.

There is a feline specific calming pheromone product called Feliway that can be used if this aggression isn't getting better. It comes as a plug in diffuser and can be used to help reduce the stress that she's feeling. Here is a link on it.

www.feliway.com

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!