Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

How much is the payment for this? Cat. How much does this…

Customer Question
How much is the...

How much is the payment for this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

How much does this advice cost?

Veterinarian's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Veterinarian's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

My male cat is a rescue that we got about 6 years ago. He was fine the other day and then the next he was just a lump, will not eat, drink or use the restroom. It has been 4 days without food. I have given him water from a dropper and now he will not take that either.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name?

He doesn't have lumps

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your cat is acting lethargic and not eating, drinking, or urinating. I am sorry to hear about what has been happening the last 4 days. Can you please tell me if you have observed any history of vomiting or hair balls from your cat?

No sir, no vomiting or hairballs. He was fine and the next day this started. He was taking water out of a dropper from me, but now he won't even do that. He can't hardly walk and will not stand up for me either.

Thank you for that information. These sort of signs can be worrisome. Cats are unable to go go a sustained period of time without eating because they are especially prone to a liver condition called "hepatic lipidosis," which is caused by malnutrition. I am most concerned about that possibility. Common causes of acute lethargy and not eating in a cat can be attributed to all sorts of endocrine, metabolic, or digestive issues. Inflammatory bowel disease, foreign body, neoplasia, and parasites are a few common issues. A complete blood and urine panel and x-rays of the abdomen are recommended initially to determine what is happening. In the meantime, you could give some over-the-counter remedies to help him feel better and also to give him calories to prevent the hepatic lipidosis condition.

Pepcid is one of the better over-the-counter remedies you can use to help decrease nausea. His dose is 1/4 tablet (i.e. 2.5 mg) every 12 hours. You can also give a calorie supplement called Nutrical, which is also available over-the-counter. If he is not eating even after giving the Pepcid, then consider offering some canned tuna or poultry based baby food. I hope that helps.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is your cat doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian