Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We think she plug up. She not eating and going to the

Customer Question
We think she plug...

We think she plug up. She not eating and going to the bathroom. She keeps licking the back end all the time

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Patches 13 or 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Patches

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Patches. Can you answer some questions to help me get a better picture? Is she spayed? Has she been losing weight? Is she vomiting?

she is spayed. Not sure if she losing weight but loss before she had 4 teeth pull this year. No she is not vomiting

Thank you for that information. Is she still drinking? If you look where she's licking, are there any sores there? When did she last urinate and defecate?

she loves her water. It’s red and swollen. We saw a small really small liquid poop this morning. But really that about all for the two days

If she had the small amount of the liquid stools, then it wouldn't seem likely that she's blocked up from a fecal aspect. It wouldn't seem likely that she's constipated. With that area being red and swollen, could she have a vaginitis / bacterial infection to the skin in that area that is really bothering her. When these fire up, they can be hard to quiet down at home as they keep licking the area which keeps it moist. Dermatitis situations typically respond the best when antibiotics are started up and the area is kept clean and dry (typically in these situations, they are wearing a cone to keep them from licking the area). With her being spayed, she shouldn't have an infection in her uterus (as it is gone) called a pyometra. With a cat her age that isn't eating, could she have some underlying renal issue that is getting her like this. They can have more frequent urinations with it and this can maybe cause more urine to have contact with that area to possibly set off a dermatitis. What would be best here is a trip to the vet to have them check her over in person to see what specifically is going on and what needs to be done. At home, all you can really do there is to let her rest and to have easy access to food and water.