Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been enjoying the Christmas water of the tree.

Customer Question
My cat has been...

My cat has been enjoying the Christmas water of the tree. yesterday she started throwing up food and has continued to vomit up frothy water today. Her food wasn't touch and I have blocked her way to the tree stand.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No same food as always. she throw up at least twelve times throughout me home including me bed

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Natalie and she is about five years old. indoor outdoor cat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Natalie?

Natalie is slightly overweight and eats hill metabolic mix.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry that your girl Natalie has vomited her food and now is vomiting foamy water repeatedly.

Vomiting foam simply is a mix of air and stomach/esophageal mucous made when she retches, it is not indicative of any disease process but tells us she is quite nauseous.

Causes of vomiting include bacterial, viral or fungal infections, eating something she should not including a foreign body (rubber band, bones, or toy piece) or inflammatory bowel disease. Other possibilities are internal organ (kidney or liver) disease that cause a build up of waste products which the organs normally remove that can irritate the gastrointestinal tract leading to bleeding or pancreatitis. Infiltrative cancers like lymphoma are possible as well, even at her age.

In her case this may well be from drinking the Christmas tree water, or perhaps she has eaten something that you are not aware of. Does the tree have tinsel or small ornaments she could have chewed on and ingested?

Does she have a fever (rectal temperature greater then 103F)?

I would start with an acid reducing medication to try and settle her stomach. You can give either:

1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose one half of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These are acid reducers which will decrease irritation of the stomach and esophagus and may help her feel better. They can be used for several days if need be.

Then I recommend a 12 to 24 hour food fast. Water is fine to offer in a couple hours as she needs to stay hydrated but by taking away food we rest her gut and hopefully reset normal gut motions. If she continues to vomit even after the acid reducers she should see a veterinarian today.

In 12 to 24 hours start a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, skinless, white meat chicken minced mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. This is an easily digested bland diet and won't irritate her stomach and intestines. Feed the bland diet mix for several days until her nausea clears, then slowly start mixing in her regular diet. It should take about a week to convert her back, mixing a little more regular and less bland in each meal.

You can also give her probiotics to replace good bacteria in her gut. Fortiflora, Proviable, and Benebac are very good. Your veterinarian or many larger pet stores carry them.

If even with the acid reducing medication, her food fast, probiotics and bland diet she still is vomiting or refusing to eat she should be seen by a veterinarian. If she continues vomiting even with the acid reducing medication then she needs to see a veterinarian on an emergency basis, otherwise she will become dehydrated.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

She is still throwing up. I tried the pepcid Ac I thought she looked and was acting more like her old self last night she drank water in front of me and she was up and present this morning. Put out wet food chic***** *****ke you said when away from viewing her a half hour later she was in the dinning room throwing up. I am taking her to the vet. Today

I am sorry to hear that she is still vomiting. She absolutely she should be seen since her vomiting is persisting.

Please let me know how things go for her and what they find.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara