Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat has been diagnosed with twitching skin syndrome. Is

Customer Question
Cat has been diagnosed...

Cat has been diagnosed with twitching skin syndrome. Is having very severe skin movements. Sensation must be totally incapacitating, because she is attacking herself esp. at tail. She seeks darkness under the bed during the day., has tried to sleep on the bed but a session will send her off.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Cat. What is the Cat's name and age?

Marti

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Marti?

3 years about

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marti?

She is an indoor/outdoor cat. Has not eaten much in 24 hours, may not have drunk as much as she usually does.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What treatments is she on just now?

None except Revolution monthly
OK, then can we continue via typing? I need to know something /advice on what to do to relieve this animal's distress.

Hello again,

No worries, I was typing my reply (the call offer is an automatic site feature, not from me).

Now if Marti has been diagnosed with twitching skin syndrome (feline hyperesthesia syndrome), I am surprised that she hasn't been on any treatment. Excluding parasites is good but ideally we'd want her vet narrowing down any potential causes for her signs (as we can see severe feline stress and severe allergies appear similarly). Therefore, it would be ideal to ring her vet about this and discuss their exam findings from when they made this diagnosis. If they have excluded those similarly appearing concerns, then we may need her on a a serotonin-enhancing drug (amitryptyline or fluoxetine) which often will reduce these issues for our kitties. For some cases, we even will use steroids, phenobarbital, or gabapentin. Usually its a case of trying these and seeing what works best for the cat.

Finally, any delay in having her seen and you could at least try Marti with an OTC antihistamine. It will reduce allergy concerns if present but may also relax her enough to get her feeling like eating/drinking (which usually is reduced just because they feel so miserable). Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic irritation. Alternatively, we can use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, to avoid drowsiness. Of course, double check with your vet first if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication you didn't mention. Of course, as you do that you can tempt her with favourite foods or offer a bit of boiled chicken, white fish, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**