Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I believe his anal gland has ruptured. I believe his left…

Customer Question
I believe his anal...

I believe his anal gland has ruptured

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

I believe his left anal gland has ruptured

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

His back side and there is and open wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is the cat bleeding a lot?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the cat's name and age?

Spooky 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Spooky

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long ago did this happen?

What is discharging from it? Pus, blood, etc?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Hello again,

Poor Spooky,

Given what we have here, rupture of an anal gland abscess is a concern. Though this is a bit lower then where they usually rupture, so I cannot fully exclude an abscess rupture from other causes (ie cat bite, trauma, etc). In any case, often they will be lethargic until these burst as the stretching of the skin by the pus tends to be quite painful. In this case, we ideally want his local vet to start antibiotics to ensure this heals properly and we don't have any relapse (as they can heal the skin over the infection leading to the same happening again). Any delay and we'd want to start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to help reduce the bacterial load. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar on your wee one to protect this. But again this does look like a ruptured abscess and while not an emergency we'd want his local vet to start antibiotics +/- kitty safe pain relief (ie Metacam) to ensure we get this settled without any complications for Spooky.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Thank you so much. I will have him at the vet in about an hour and a half.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could be of help and that sounds like a perfect plan for Spooky. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian