Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My beautiful cat has FIP (dry) and hasn't eaten (barely

Customer Question
My beautiful cat has...

My beautiful cat has FIP (dry) and hasn't eaten (barely drinks even with water in a syringe that I try to give her). She is at the very end, I was hoping she would pass in her sleep as nature takes its course; however, this has not happened yet. She's not in pain, as long as I don't move her, which is what would have to happen to take her in to euthanize her by a vet. As horrible as this question is, is there anything I can do to help her along without having to move her? For example, medicam overdose? I can't believe I'm even asking this, but I know for a fact there is nothing more I can do, her vet, neurologist, and I have done all that we can. She has not walked in months, and stopped letting me give her the medication prescribed days ago, along with, shortly after, any food and water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Savannah and is 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Savannah?

No, they know everything already

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Vet_Dr.Drea, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you.

I am very sorry to hear about Savannah, this must be a very difficult thing to go through. Unfortunately, I do not recommend you "help her along" yourself as this is both risky to her (may make her suffer more) and is illegal.

Using metacam, the medication you mentioned, would also not work. This is an NSAID and would just cause very bad GI upset and ulcers if you overdosed her, which would cause her to suffer. Unfortunately, I recommend that if you feel it is time that she have a veterinarian help her. You could either try to move her minimally to do this or see if there are vets in your area that will come to the house for euthanasia- many areas have veterinarians who offer such services and could come to you so Savannah could be helped without her having to be moved.

Again, I am so sorry you are going through this. If you have any further questions feel free to let me know. Once you are happy with my answer, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time.

Best, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Cat Veterinarian