Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is 17 years old she is just laying around and won't

Customer Question
She is 17 years...

She is 17 years old she is just laying around and won't hARDLY EAT she has trouble standing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Blackie

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Blackie. I'm so sorry she's doing so poorly. I'll do my best to help you find the information you need. What is your question for me tonight?

what do you think what is wrong with blackie
sorry i can't hear on the phone we aill have to type

I'm worried about a lot of different things to cause a 17-year-old dog to act this way. There are almost too many problems to list:

• kidney disease
  • heart disease
  • cancer

and lots of other things. Of course it might also be something simple. We always just worry more about serious things with older pets.

The only way to know for certain is to have her looked at by a vet.

Are there other symptoms?

i took her to our vet he said she has autherritis (spelling) he gave her a shot a couple of times but it dosen't help
i am afraid she is dying anything we can do

I'm so sorry that isn't helping.

Arthritis can be very serious, but it doesn't cause a dog to stop eating.

There has to be something else going on, too. It will take blood work and/or x-rays to figure out what it is.

I'm so sorry, but you're right to worry she may be dying. It's important to not let her suffer more than anything else. The next step is to take her to a vet who can do blood tests and x-rays. If that's not an option, the vet can also let you know if it's time to consider putting her to sleep.

I'm so sorry. This is really difficult stuff to talk about.

thank you

I am so, so sorry you're facing this. It doesn't get any more difficult than this.

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

we took our blackie to the vet said there was little they could do her kidneys was going bad had heart problems so we had her put down so very sad at least she is not suffering anymore thanks for your time