Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He isnt eating and has been throwing up alot not doing much…

Customer Question
He isnt eating and...

He isnt eating and has been throwing up alot not doing much of anything he is losing weight fast he drank a little milk today but thats it i am not rich and really cant afford a large bill a couple hundred maybe my mom just passed sunday now this what can i do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

No this just started a few days ago he likes to chew on plastic bags but i hide them but when i bring in groceries he goes right for bags

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Can he keep any water down?

Can he pass urine?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

He chews on plastic bags if he can get to one

Hello again,

I did notice you had mentioned he liked to do that, but has he gotten one recently?

Any can you answer my other questions so I can assess him further?

About 5 days now he still is urinating I just gave him a little tired he ate it he throws up liquid light brown color I will try his stomach later he just ate thank you for your time

Hello again,

First, I am glad to hear that he has eaten a bit for you and hopefully he is turning a corner. Still if you see any more nausea or vomiting, we'd want to consider treating that with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here (ie bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretion, blockage, etc). Therefore, we’d want to keep a close eye. If he doens't keep that food he just had down, then you can start an OTC antacid for him. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm going to take him Monday I don't want to lose him

Hi again,

We certainly don't want that for him. So, do monitor closely and consider the above steps I noted to minimize his signs until he can see his vet Monday.

Dr. B.