Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have one that likes to play in his litter box and makes a…

Customer Question
I have one that...

I have one that likes to play in his litter box and makes a big mess scattering litter everywhere. How can I teach him to stop?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Stuart 3 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stuart?

Well maybe, we have another cat about the same age, Felix has been with us from kitten stage, and he is very agressive with Stuart to the point we have to keep them seperated all the time. Stuart wants to be friends, but Felix just goes to bite him on the neck if they get together

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you

Thank you for your question about this situation. Some cats are very fastidious about trying to bury their stools / urine in the litter box. They just have a desire to do it and to do it well. They can also be a bit over zealous about this. Honestly, the best thing to do here is to get a litter box that has a lot higher walls so they can't physically flick the litter out. The higher wall will do a great job with that mess. If litter is being flung out the opening / door, then the neat thing I've seen owners do is to actually put the litter box in a bigger cardboard box that is open on the top. The front entrance into the cardboard box is at an angle off to the side of where the entrance to the litter box is at. So basically if litter gets tossed out the front of the litter box, it gets trapped in the cardboard box and is pretty darn easy to clean up. I would feel this is the best plan of attack for this as to really "teach" them to not make a mess isn't really feasible as that is his nature and the last thing you want to do is in someway give him litter box aversion.

Please let me know what further questions I can help with.