Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Sorry, I had never heard of you and I got nervous when you…

Customer Question
Sorry, I had never...

Sorry, I had never heard of you and I got nervous when you asked for my credit card. This is Flynn and Charlotte's mom. I had just messaged you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Two cats

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes, my two cats

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Flynn is a black Manx we just adopted. When he came to our house in the country he started sneezing. He now, 3 weeks later has discharge coming from his eyes. He is 1 1/2 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Flynn

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Flynn?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What does the discharge from the eyes look like?

Any discharge from the nose?

Is he eating and drinking?

I sent you my reply he’s eating and drinking still sneezing with Claire stuff coming out of his nose he’s got white thick goo coming out of both eyes.
Eyes are white and gummy, clear discharge from his nose when he sneezes. He is eating and drinking just fine.

Thanks for the information. Most likely he has developed an upper respiratory infection. These are very common in cats. They are usually caused by a viral infection. Most of the time, it is herpes. They often turn into secondary bacterial infections, though, so many of these cats need to go on antibiotics. There are antiviral medications that can be taken orally and applied into the eye, but they tend to be expensive so are not commonly used, except as a last resort. Antibiotic eye medications are usually used first. For adult cats, 500 mg of L-lysine (over the counter, but a vet would have a more palatable formulation for cats) twice daily over the food can help to stimulate the immune system to fight off the virus. If very congested, putting them in a bathroom with the shower on hot for 5-10 minutes can help to break it up. Saline nasal drops can also be used to break up congestion (if your cat would allow that). A cool humidifier can dry them out as well. We will use antihistamines, such as chlorpheniramine to dry them out on some occasions. As with any human medication, I always recommend checking with your vet to make sure there is nothing in the history to make it contraindicated for him. Most cats will get over this just fine but can often have recurrence due to a herpes virus never fully leaving the system. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Flynn is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian