Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

16 years old cat vomit often, has diarrhea once every day,

Customer Question
16 years old cat...

16 years old cat vomit often, has diarrhea once every day, last year lost weight, wasted muscles, increased appetite, thirsty for cold water, drinks a lot,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She is active but sometimes refuse to use a litter box, TSH sugar are normal,

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Dr Kara, Are you homeopath?

I am sorry to hear that your kitty is getting very thin even with a good appetite, is vomiting often, has daily diarrhea, muscle loss, and is drinking more water.

When we see weight loss with an apparently increased appetite we need to worry about disease processes that either don't allow her to digest and/or absorb the food she is taking (such as diabetes, liver disease, primary intestinal or pancreatic disease including cancers) or those that lead to a higher metabolic rate such as hyperthyroidism or cancer.

In an older cat the more common diseases we see include hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland that overproduces thyroid hormones) or since she were drinking more and urinating a tremendous amount, diabetes. Sometimes early on with diabetes we only see weight loss.

Both diabetes and hyperthyroidism are treatable or at least manageable.

Hyperthyroidism is controlled with daily oral medication (Tapazole, also called methimazole) or a very special diet called y/d both of which must be done for the rest of his life or treatment with radioactive iodine to selectively kill tumor cells which is usually a one time therapy. There are pros and cons to each therapy which your veterinarian can discuss with you after getting a firm diagnosis.

Diabetes is controlled with diet and insulin therapy.

It sounds like some testing has been done and a diagnosis wasn't achieved. In some cats with thyroid disease, especially those with concurrent kidney disease or pancreatitis, we may never see very high T-4 levels, rather they may have what would be considered high normal. Yet when put on methimazole they seem to respond with weight gain and less vomiting and loose stools.

If she has had a complete blood count and biochemistry profile with T-4 checked, and it was low or mid-range not high normal, as well as a urinalysis with nothing abnormal then it is time to move on to more specialized testing.

I recommend checking vitamin B levels to look for signs of intestinal disease, a test for pancreatic insufficiency called a TLI, and an abdominal ultrasound to look for signs of changes in the walls of the intestines as well as evaluating her organs. She may need an endoscopy to collect biopsies of her intestines if they look abnormal

In the meantime you might try feeding her a higher calorie prescription food called Hills a/d or Iams Maximum Calorie from your veterinarian and make sure she has access to plenty of fresh, clean water.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I am open to proven homeopathic options.

I am a huge believer in the positive effects of omega 3 fatty acids, glucosamine chondroitins, duralactin, some probiotics (Proviable, Benebac, and Forte flora), and liver support supplements including s-adenosylmethionine and silymarin.

But I have seen a lot of examples of supplements that contained little to none of the ingredients listed on the label, so I am very cautious in my recommendations.

thank you I red about all mentioned conditions on web side, I geve her Ars.Album for 2 weeks She stop vomiting but the rest of symptoms still there, I need your advice from homeopathic point of view. Our vet , recommended only teeth cleaning . I do not think it will help
probably there is a mistake here, I wanted an advice from homeopath. Are you homeopath doctor?

I have to agree, I doubt that cleaning her teeth is likely to change or fully address her symptoms.

If she were drooling and not eating that would seem more likely.

Ars Album is a homeopathic tincture which is used for many ailments. It is a very dilute solution or arsenic. In your kitty's case I assume you chose to use it for gastointestinal upset/vomiting due to a stress/inflammatory cause.

Given what you have told me so far, normal blood tests, I would focus on her intestine as being the primary issue. Inflammatory bowel disease or infiltrative cancer (most notably lymphoma) would be my primary concerns. An abdominal ultrasound would be a good start, and probably endoscopy or an exploratory to collect biopsies could be very helpful in achieving a diagnosis.

No I am not a homeopathic focused veterinarian.

I will opt out and perhaps if there is one on the site they can guide you.

Dr. you listed food supplements. It has nothing to do with homeopathy. i am sorry it was a mistake . I asked to connect me to Homeopath, not conventional vet, doctor. I am sure that you are wonderful veterinarian but in this case it does not help to my cat. best r anyway Thank you for your time
NO thank you. Please do not put me on any program. Let me know how much i have to pay for todays consultation and remove my information from your system.
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian