Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I think my 1 year old cat has brittle claws and it''s flaky…

Customer Question
I think my 1...

I think my 1 year old cat has brittle claws and it''s flaky and slightly splits

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

He seems to have brittle claws but doesn't seem to be in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Nila

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nila?

He was on antibiotics for 7 days 2 weeks ago for a lung infection

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Nila's claws are brittle, flaky, and splitting. I am sorry to hear about that. Is Nila housed indoors primarily, or does she go outside as well? What does her diet consist?

He is am indoor cat. He eats dry food twice a day...grain free and at night wet food raw chicken
He is not in pain though. He runs around..eats well..grooms regularly.
I'm sorry am I still waiting for a reply?

I am still here. There appears to be a slight delay between our communication, but rest assure, I will make sure all your questions are answered.

Brittle claws can be associated with a nutritional deficiency (unlikely based on the history) or an infection. A yeast or fungal organism it the most likely possibility. That is why it probably did not get better while she was on an antibiotic because the cause is not a bacteria. A fungal culture would likely give you a diagnosis.

Recently we did a blood test and stool test and it seems like everything was normal - would any traces of fungal infection also be seen in that test? And what is the likely cause?

Sometimes the eosinophil count is elevated with fungal organisms, which is part of the white blood cell count, but it is not always seen. A fungal (i.e. ringworm) or yeast (i.e. Malasezzia) organism can occur with any sort of infection picked up in the environment. It could have been present when he was a kitten before he was adopted, or it may have been picked up afterwards.

His eosinophil count was normal and the ringworm test that was done was also normal.

Interesting. They did a ringworm test? That is a fungal culture that is taken from the skin. It would look like a swab.

Well, i'm not sure how to describe it. The vet checked for ringworms from his stool examination and said it was normal and also I think looked for flees via a ''surface test'' . Did you have a chance to look at the pictures I sent?
But I can't say how long this has been the case, I literally just noticed it now as he was sleeping with his hind legs on me. Like I said he is no pain whatsoever. Would it be that he is growing and the claws are shedding or something like that? Or any nutritional deficiency? He has always been an indoor cat. But He used to have pretty sharp claws!
Hi. Are we still connected?
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian