Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Looking for an opinion regarding my 5 year old tabby, female…

Customer Question
Hi! looking for an opinion...
Hi! looking for an opinion regarding my 5 year old tabby, female feline. She started running in and out of litter box and would stay for a couple of minutes with barely discharging much pee. The amount was about a thumbnail amount.This started on this past,Tuesday. She went in her carrier on a white towel. Shows blood in it. I had taken her to a local vet. They examined her, 10 lbs, her temperature was within the limits of 99-102, took a urine sample and is doing a urine culture, Will take 24-72 hours before I get the results. They want to see if any bacteria would grow.In the mean time they tell me its a inflammatory bladder, her bladder wall is thick, no pee in her or minimal. Gave me Onsior to administer daily for the next 3 days. The vet thinks it stress related since I have 2 other cats. Thank you for your time. Should have any questions for me, feel free to drop them by me. Greg
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Tigress isn't herself with blood in her urine, increased frequency of urination and urinating small amounts, with obvious discomfort.

It appears that she has had a bit of appropriate testing done, and you are waiting on results of a culture. It sounds like so far there are signs of inflammation present, thus the prescription of Onsior (a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory that may improve her comfort level).

Ultrasound would allow evaluation of the architecture of her kidneys and bladder wall, and allow visualization of some calculi that are not visible on normal radiographs, but can be seen on ultrasound. If she is not coming along I think an ultrasound would be a great idea.

However with your description of her symptoms and normal test results so far I suspect that she may have a condition called interstitial cystitis. Interstitial cystitis is an inflammation of the bladder wall that we think is worsened by stress. The primary condition we are having trouble pinning down.

We do know in these cats however that the mucous layer that protects the bladder wall from urine (which is a mucous membrane irritant) seems to be faulty. So glucosaminoglycans (like adequan) are postulated to help as they are a building block for this mucous. It isn't something that the drug companies can advertise or label the drug for as they would need to do extended testing and trials and there simply aren't enough cats affected to make this worthwhile for them. This is something we do for these cats as we have some anecdotal evidence (reports from other veterinarians that have tried it) that it works. You can give her oral glucosamine supplements like Cosequin.

Omega 3 fatty acids are natural anti-inflammatories that are important for healing and mucous membrane and skin health. I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 8 pound kitty could take 160mg of EPA per day.

Omega 3's and glucosamine/chondroitins can work synergistically and improve bladder wall health as well as reducing inflammation. They can take several weeks to see full improvement but some cats do very well with them alone. They are available over the counter.

Likewise we know that by decreasing stress these cats do better and have less episodes in the long run.

Encouraging play behavior and exercise is a natural way to relieve stress. Fishing line toys for her to chase, hiding treats for her to "hunt down" in cat trees or kitty condos can be fun for her too. Perhaps building an outdoor enclosure on a patio or porch so she can go out safely could help.

I recommend Feliway too as a stress reliever, especially if we believe that there are other pets in the home or outdoor animals that are causing her stress. This is a synthetic analog of a calming pheromone that cats use to mark things as safe or home. You can also continue also use a homeopathic called Rescue Remedy drops along with Feliway to help with stress. If your other cats ingest it it won't hurt them.

Zylkene is another supplement that may help relieve her stress and thus decrease her symptoms. Here is a link if you's like to read more about it: http://vetoquinolusa.com/Products/Behavior/index.html

Amitriptyline or fluoxetine are prescription medications that are very good at relieving anxiety in some cats, so we can use one of these medications as well if supplements aren't enough.

Increasing water consumption helps by diluting the urine, thus decreasing its irritant effects. You should feed her primarily canned food, and add chicken broth or warm water to increase fluid intake further. Kitty drinking fountains can be very beneficial to get her to drink more. She may play in the water, so I recommend putting it on a water proof matt. I know this is messy but play relieves stress too, so I would let her play in it.

I can tell you I have one patient that did very well for a number of years on amitriptyline, glucosamine/chondroitins and omega 3 fatty acids. The owners reported that she was a new cat on this regimen.

Your veterinarian is doing the right things by testing to make sure there isn't an infection, and can look for hidden calculi or a mass if her symptoms continue with an ultrasound. Those things should be ruled out first.

In some cases though we are left with a stress driven illness and then we must do our best to change things and relieve stress.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tigeress. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian