Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My Cat Bugsy is 19yrs old and up to now always had a good…

Customer Question
My Cat Bugsy is 19yrs...
My Cat Bugsy is 19yrs old and up to now always had a good appetite. Today she is throwing up and wants to poop, but cant. I dont want to lose her, what can I do??
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Bugsy today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

There are a couple of things that you can try, but if it is not helping her to pass stool, or if her symptoms persist, she really needs to be seen soon by your veterinarian. The problem with these cases is that often there is a large piece of rock hard stool blocking the passage of anything behind it. Sometimes a little liquid will make it's way around it, but until that obstruction can be manually broken down and removed, most drugs will not be too effective. Most cats I have worked with, even the most docile, will not allow their owner to attempt any stool removal at home, and even at the clinic we usually need sedation or at least a few people for restraint.

If she seems otherwise comfortable and you want to try something on your own before you take her to your vet, you could safely give her two things that may help. The first is the laxative called Dulcolax® The generic name is Bisacodyl. It is available over the counter here and comes as a 5 mg tab. Give one tab twice a day. The other thing that helps to soften the stool is a product for humans called Miralax (or polyetheylene glycol) It is a powder that you can sprinkle on food and it works by drawing water into the stool to keep it soft. Start with 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. A different stool softener that you may be able to find is called Colace® (Docusate sodium) and cats can be given 50 mg once or twice a day. Try to increase her fluid intake as much as you can by offering water or tuna juice to encourage drinking or add to her food to make it as soupy as she will allow.

Canned pumpkin, Bran, or Psyllium (Metamucil) are good sources of fiber and help with constipation as well. About 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per meal is what I would use.

The hairball gels that are mineral/oil-petroleum mixtures are also good helpful. Mineral can be used rectally, (which I am sure you don't want to do), but should not be forced orally as there is a risk of it getting in their lungs which is dangerous.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz