Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I want to treat her for ringworm but I dislike my local vet.

Customer Question
I want to treat...

I want to treat her for ringworm but I dislike my local vet

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Fur missing and a small leasion on face

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Sammie shes 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammie?

The fur is missing on her tail and its red and sor from what I can gather when I touched it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Have you considered moving vets since you're dissatisfied with this one?

If there was another vet in town I would but we are in a small town so beggars cant be choosers.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing? How do you believe she contracted ringworm?

I dont know as we have never had problems before with ringworm. how can I treat her to get rid of it

I'd like to help you further but I really need pictures to assist you. Ringworm is not typically a spontaneous occurrence in adult cats and ringworm is not the only reason for a cat missing fur. The fact that you've mentioned that she has redness and it's sore suggests this is not ringworm. Thus, if you can help me with pictures, I will be better able to ascertain why she's suffering from fur loss and help you to determine how to approach it.

I cant keep her still long enough to get pictures as she doesnt like her tail being touched at the best of times.Im only surmising its sore or perhaps she is just being touchy about me going near her bottom.
I cant see any other lesions on her body but it is scaley

Is she indoors only or indoor-outdoor?

Are you seeing any scabbing?

Is the area on her face one that is easily captured by picture?

none on her face.
only her tail

Can you further discuss this? I have "a small leasion on face" from your original post.

There are no lesions on her face only the fur missing off her tail.
My idiot vet says it looks like ringworm but didnt give me anything for it.
She wanted to cost me more money by sending away a swab.
Thje bitch already botched an operation on one of my kittens last week and
I had to have her put to sleep.
Im over people who just keep trying to get money money money and treat me like crap
She always makes me feel like Im dirty and not looking after my animals.
I truely hate her

It's really time to look for another vet, then, even if it means driving to another town.

Here's what I would recommend since oral medications require a prescription: https://www.chewy.com/vet-basics-lime-sulfur-dip/dp/163591?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Vet%20Basics&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA38jRBRCQARIsACEqIevFP4qEGl5TnR61tCi8hbyvA3UmWRNzc1UnhRzjgPCmfZXHLrYsuYQaAux9EALw_wcB You can buy this over the internet or you can purchase in person from a pet store. It does not require a prescription. You will dilute it according to the package and apply once a week. A small bottle will last you a very long time, so don't purchase a large supply. With my own rescues that have spots like you describe, I apply either with a cotton ball or I place the diluted solution into an empty bingo dauber and dab it on the affected areas. It doesn't smell very good, but it works well. You should begin seeing improvements within 10-14 days. You want to keep medicating the areas until all signs of missing fur is gone.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse