Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I reside at 6033 N. SheridanRd Chicago IL with a 15 year old…

Customer Question
My name is***** reside...

My name is***** reside at 6033 N. SheridanRd Chicago IL with a 15 year old female Siamese cat. Mah Jong is just past fifteen years old and is F

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Siamese?

FIV postive. I am 87 years old and troubled that she is crying has not urinated in two days, is there anything I can do, I don't drive anymore and I want to know if there is anything I can do for her and strangely I am treating a bladder infection myself. Is there any home remedy I can try?

Veterinarian's Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Siamese's name?

MahJong

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about MahJong?

She has a temper and often if I do not pay attention to her she will wet and deficate in defiance I think I said she is FIV positive and 15 years old

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/13/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Dorothy, I'm sorry to hear of this with MahJong. Regretfully, her vocalizing and not urinating are certainly worrisome but not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. If she's not forming urine due to not eating and drinking I need to consider a systemic disorder that has caused her anorexia. At 15 years of age chronic renal insufficiency is the common of the systemic disorders. If she's trying to urinate but can't, I need to consider an obstruction in her lower urinary tract such as might occur due to neoplasia - transitional cell carcinoma is most common. If you're seeing stranguria and/or hematuria (increased frequency of urinating little or no urine and/or blood in the urine), a bacterial urinary tract infection is most likely although both urinary calculi (stones) and neoplasia need to be considered as well. A vet will need to examine MahJong and perform a complete urinalysis along with blood test s in order to differentiate one disorder from the other. Ultrasound of MahJong's urinary tract might be needed as well.

I understand your logistical constraints, however. You can have a vet come to MahJong. There are housecall vets in Chicago whom you can find by googling. For example: Chicago Veterinary House Calls(###) ###-#### Chicago In Home Veterinary Care(###) ###-#### and Veterinary Health Care/Dobner DVM(###) ###-####

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian