Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat loves his treats (hard crunchy treats). In fact, if I…

Customer Question
My cat loves his treats...
My cat loves his treats (hard crunchy treats). In fact, if I shake the bag, he will drop whatever he's up to, and come running!
A few days ago, he did the same thing, came running, but when I put the treats down, he took a bite, and then spit it out & batted at it, almost like it scared him! Then kind of walked around it, as if he was scoping it out.... So I thought maybe something was won't with it, and gave him another flavor. He got all excited like normal, but then same thing, took a bite, spit it out, and batted at it again. He tried to eat another one, and again spit it out. I tried a couple other flavors, and same thing. Then I can have him his canned food, and he ate it just fine. I tried his treats again, and same thing happened. Then he'd look at me as if to say "why are you doing this to me?".
So I thought maybe he had a bad tooth, and when he but down hot a nerve or something?
This was on Friday, so since he was still eating his wet food ok a if just make a vet appt on Monday.
But by Monday he was fine, and eating his treats as normal. He was a little hesitant at first, and the first few he just swallowed without even chewing, but then started chewing, crunching & ate fine.What do you think????He is a Sphynx, and gets **very** upset when I take him to the vet. So much in fact, that the last two times we went, he was so terrified, that he broke out in hives head to foot the minute we got there! Then as soon as we got home the hives went away. Completely gone.
So I hate to put him through that again if I don't absolutely have to!
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/13/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

We all know that cats can have a finicky nature, & perhaps this is all that was going on. But the veterinarian in me always likes to investigate a bit further. If you could look in his mouth to see if is gums, especially where the teeth meet the gums, look at all red or inflamed. Have you noticed any drooling, or pawing at the mouth?

Thank you.

No drooling, no pawing, no inflammation.
If it was a bad tooth / nerve, why would it not hurt now? Is it possible?

I do not think it was a bad tooth. I would guess either he just was not interested in the treats for whatever reason, or he had some temporary mouth pain. A small piece of food may have lodged in a tooth, & since cats do not floss, it caused some discomfort. Since he is fine now, all you can do is wait & see if it occurs again. But if the gums look nice & pink, I would not be too concerned. Just keep watch. Some cats can develop pretty extensive dental disease. You can get ahead of things by feeding dental treats available to cats, using a tooth paste product, or even using a water additive that acts as a very mild mouth wash for pets. Keeping his mouth as healthy as possible will go a long way if he is prone to developing any dental issue. It is just too early to say for sure if this might be the reason for his behavior, or something else.