Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat Archie is 15 years old and has diabetes. He is

Hi, my cat Archie...

Hi, my cat Archie is 15 years old and has diabetes. He is usually hyperglycaemic at around 18-19mmol/L.. i think he has arthritis also and has metacam. I am worried as he has lost weight. Ive been back and forth to the vets but they think he is doing well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

No i don't think so :)

Answered in 1 hour by:
12/13/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

When was the last time Archie had full blood work done to check liver and kidneys and pancreas?

Has he had any imaging to try and pinpoint the cause of his weight loss?

he had a full geriatric blood screen and all was fine. That was in the last six months and no imaging done but the vet felt his body and no lumps were noted. We stopped his insulin as he went into remission and then he has gone back to being insulin dependant

You may consider getting an ultrasound done to check the pancreas and make sure there are no small tumors (not palpable during physical exam) that could explain why he went back to being insulin dependent. It could also give you answers as to why he is losing weight. For instance, he may have a mild form of inflammatory bowel disease in which his only symptom is weight loss.

You can also try adding in a feline probiotic into his food to help his body process and absorb nutrients better and give it a few weeks to see if he gains the weight back.

A good one available on amazon.com is called Feline Fortiflora

An ultrasound will also evaluate his other organs and make sure there are no abnormalities which could account for his weight loss. You can also consider checking his vitamin B levels which can become lowered in an older cat and cause weightloss.

Good luck with Archie

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Thank you! that is really helpful. I will try the sachets and I have started him on a low dose of B12 myself. My vets does think he has arthritis that could be causing him pain? not sure though?

Yes arthritis hurts but the metacam will manage that. Vitamin B injections are better than oral.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian
I have asked my vet but she said leave him for now so I decided to get some myself.

Good luck let me know how it goes

If you have a moment please rate my assistance so the site credits me with helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian