Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I took a pix of my nieghbors cats side to my vet and she…

Customer Question
I took a pix...

I took a pix of my nieghbors cats side to my vet and she thinks its buckshot...he has several wounds that ooze andb sometimes there is blood around them, they dont seem to bother the cat, he does lick at them and doesnt want me to touch them. Dont know what to do and the neighbors attitude is "he's an outdoor cat" I cant be bothered. I cant afford to take him to the vet, but I wish I knew for sure and perhaps I can afford to get him taken care of Please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

Will this hurt him or shorten his life or harmful in anyway?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

He's a gorgeous RED and white male about 2 yrs, name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spartacus?

He eats like he has a hollow leg, he loves canned food

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/13/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

It is such a shame that some people do not value their pets as family members. It is good for you to care.

Ideally, Spartacus should be on antibiotics, but if this is buckshot, most of the pellets will be superficially in the skin. Since he is eating well, & seems unaffected by his predicament, then it is very unlikely that he will have any future problems. It will take some time for the skin to heal, but once it does, you will only know that he has been shot if a x-ray is taken. It is amazing how many pets who live out in the country have pellets in them, & their owners never had a clue when it might have happened.

If you can feed him an extra can of food occasionally, I am sure he would appreciate this.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, & again, thank you for caring about Spartacus.