Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Her back nail split and has a little dried blood on it. it…

Customer Question
Her back nail split...

Her back nail split and has a little dried blood on it. it hurts her when i touch it, but otherwise she acts normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

I dont think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/13/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Sara. So there are a couple ways to deal with this. Some veterinarians will sedate the patient and trim the nail back really short. I only do this is the nail is bleeding and in danger of getting caught on something and torn off further. If the nail is broken but still in place, I give some pain medication and wait for it to grow out and keep up with regular nail trims. Is the nail loose, or pointing in a different direction?

it is not loose. nor pointing in a different direction. i just took another look now and it seems as if the top and central part of the nail has fallen off.

Ok, well that makes it even easier to deal with. I would just leave it alone and give some meds for pain. Since you are looking at it, does that seem reasonable? You can send me a pic if you can.

what kind of meds? it does seem reasonable. i can try to take a pic of it, but when i did just look i got a claw in the head.

woops :) Thats alright, I really think it will be fine. What does she weigh?

Do you have any Rimadyl or other NSAID at home?

i have some goody's powder (nsaid)

Hm, I don't know what that is. I would do something oral. What does she weigh?

I wouldn't put anything on the nail, that could lead to infection.

goody's powder is NSAID, but in powder form instead of a pill to be taken orally. she weights roughly 5-7 pounds at the most

She could have 1/2 of a 81mg aspirin. What is the main ingredient in goody's powder?

Once daily

I just looked it up, the mg of NSAID is much too high for her.

Hi are you still there?

main ingredients. acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeiene

that is the extra strength. Too much for a little peanut.

ok. well she only seems to be in pain when i try to expose the one nail

I am sure it is sensitive but only painful if it is touched. You can do the aspirin dose for a couple days in case she bumps it or something else rubs over it. You don't have to do it

you say the nail will just grow back on its own and should be no issue?
she has a habit of biting her nails often. i have read that this is a common grooming habit. is this correct?

Yes the nail will grow back and yes it is common that some dogs chew their own nails. All normal.

cats you mean?

OMG, I am so sorry, I thought you were telling me about your dog.

She can still have the aspirin but 1/4 the pill. I am terribly sorry. I don't know why I thought it was a dog.

ok np

Thank you for being understanding, I truly have never done that before.

I looked back and I didn't even say cat once. It said cat on the site and asked me about my cat and I responded "she".

You are very understanding. I should have asked. I am sorry.

Thank you again.

Dr. S

Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian