Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat went outside over the weekend and come home with a…

Customer Question
My cat went outside...

My cat went outside over the weekend and come home with a small part of his nose pad cut, it looked it another cat had scratched or bit him. Over the last few days, he has been licking his nose non-stop and it is getting bad to the point his nose pad is practically coming off and it is raw and red. He also has what looks like a small abscess on his lower lip, it ruptured yesterday night (there was a small bit of blood and pus), but it is completely back today. I think the infection on his lip is making his nose worse. I took him to a 24 hour emergency vet and they gave us some amoxicilin, and said to wait a few days. If not, the doctor said it might be a herpes virus or calicivirus but im not quite sure.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your cat bleeding a lot?

There's no blood coming from his mouth or nose, except for when the abscess popped last night. He's sleeping and very lethargic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Panda?

About 2 years ago, he had a reoccurring large abscess on his chest that needed to be lanced and surgically repaired to cure but that's about it. I dont know if that helps or not.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/13/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has the nose improved or worsened since starting the amoxi?

Is he eating and drinking well?

Did they clip, clean and drain the abscess on the chin or just prescribe the antibiotic?

Hello, thank you for your help.They did not drain the abscess since they were not sure if it is an abscess or not, but they did agree there is an infection of some sort, so they prescribed the antibiotic.
His nose looks less infected since starting the amoxi, and the part where it started looks like it is scabbing over, but some more nose pad is coming off towards the top. So some of his nose looks like it is healing where some newer areas look fresh.
As for his eating and drinking, he is still eating/drinking but less than usual.

Certainly.

The pad of the nose (just like the pads of the feet) can take a long time to heal. Not only will the tissue from the cut need to heal but the scab will then need to fall off and the skin fully regrow. If you're seeing improvements, I would not be too concerned at this stage. However, if this persists, your vet may want to perform additional diagnostics like a biopsy of the tissue to ensure that this is not a presentation of an immune mediated disorder.

You can clean the suspect abscess area with soap and water 2x daily and apply a thin layer of regular Neosporin once it's dry. This should help express any material from the wound if it's actually an abscess. If this keeps draining and filling, your vet needs to approach it surgically just like the abscess from 2 years ago. Unfortunately, this is common with cats who endure cat fights. Bacterial from the teeth and claws of other cats can be horrendous when it comes to causing abscesses on other animals.

I would also work on giving him softer foods (canned food or kibble that's been moistened) to see if this helps improve his appetite. You can also use pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

Typically herpes/calici cause ulcerations but not infections. So, if this area is actually producing pus I would expect that it's neither virus that is causing the problem. Such ulcers are usually present in the mouth or along the lip line.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800