Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat was lethargic and diagnosed via blood test by my vet…

Customer Question
My cat was lethargic...

My cat was lethargic and diagnosed via blood test by my vet about 4 weeks ago. She's been on Felimazole 1.25mg twice a day and perked up considerably. Today, though, she vomitted in the morning after eating, then lay down and couldn't turn over. This inability to turn over has happened 3 times in the past, not in the last month, though. But today is the first time her right back leg seemed to be frozen and she looked dazed. That was about 10 hrs. ago and now she's come out of hiding, lying on her cat bed. She's aware of me, ok with me petting her head, found a comfy position, unlike much earlier when she couldn't get comfortable. I have an appointment with the vet for her on Friday, (today is Tues where I am). I'm wondering if the Felimazole is in some way connected to today's episode. I've reseached side effects and only one site mentions seizures. What do you think?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

I planned to call her tomorrow morning. I was waiting because the other 3 times there was an 'episode' (with no paralized leg), my cat came out of it within minutes. Today she disappeared so I couldn't tell what was what. Now she's resting comfortable for the last hour.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/13/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Give me a few minutes to review your case.

Based on the in depth history you gave as well as the symptoms you're describing, I worry about an issue secondary to hyperthyroidism (what she is currently being treated for). Hyperthyroidism can cause heart disease as well as high blood pressure. Both of these issues can cause stroke-like signs, which is what you're describing. I would recommend taking her to the vet tonight for a check up if at all possible for treatment as with both of these issues, they can be very serious.

I can't get her to the vet until Thurs. We have massive snow here, it's evening, and the best I can do is call the vet tomorrow, Wednesday and see if I can get an appointment Thursday. It's supposed to continue to snow on Wednesday. I won't give my cat the second Felimazole pill today.Thank you for your help. Oh, and I have not received a receipt for my $5 payment. I would like one because the billing is VISA. Thx.

I understand. Please let me know if you have any other questions. As far as your receipt goes, I am not sure how that aspects of things work, but you might be able to ask tech support for help with that.

I just checked visa and find $5 and $25. Why? You may not know how the billing aspect works but someone will and I wanted a $5 response. I have a vet, as I've said. Please don't be a scam and make me get VISA after you guys when you offer a good service.

I'm just the vet, I don't control any of the billing etc.

I just give my medical expertise. I would recommend getting in contact with tech support or someone else that has control over these things.