Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Well cat is sneezing and her eyes a running. She the only…

Customer Question
Well cat is sneezing...

Well cat is sneezing and her eyes a running. She the only cat in the house. I adopted her one month ago with clean bill of health. Now this I called my vet he said call the main society and they will not call me back.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Heidi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Heidi?

They said she has 1to 2mm superficial circular defect in her right cornea. Said no need to treat no conjunctivitis or signs of infection according to the Humane Societies vet.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I need to at least partially disagree with the shelter vet. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that causes the sneezing and epiphora (excessive tears) you're seeing. FHV-1 can also cause corneal damage - that defect you mentioned. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. The over the counter (available in some feed stores or online except in California) ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as Heidi continues eat, drink, and act normally in spite of her sneezing and epiphora and she goes into remission within 3 weeks of the onset of her signs she doesn't need to be attended to by her vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

It now been 10 days, should she be on something or wait? She is eating and drinking fine.

I'm willing to give her up to 21 days to remiss completely particularly because she continues to eat and drink normally. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?