Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I noticed that after I pet my cat I still see my hand marks…

Customer Question
Hello, I noticed that...

Hello, I noticed that after I pet my cat I still see my hand marks on his body. Before that wouldn't happen. Those marks sort of bounced back right away.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your cat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

He's not hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?

Mao mao. Age 1 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mao?

He vomits sometimes right after he eats. I assume he eats too fast

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Mao eat anything unusual?

No just wet and dry food

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Is it Mao's skin that is indenting after you pet him or is it his fur, can you tell?

Can you send me a picture of it so i can see or a video?

Is he eating normally and drinking normally? How often is he vomiting or regurgitating ?

It is his fur that's indenting. The best way to describe it is when you bathe a cat and you stroke it you see those indentations. I thought maybe he was dehydrated and did a skin turgor test but his skin bounced back normally. This never happened before. I wonder if it's because I bathed him last week but it doesn't seem to make sense because this fur problem started 3 days ago.
He eats and drinks normally. So far, he hasn't vomited this week but he vomited once last week. It's occasional and in his vomit I see the actual food. Doesn't look like he chewed them

Sometimes dehydration can do this but also we can see something called pitting edema in the subcutaneous tissue.

Here is a video of pitting edema ( now it does not need oto excessive bruising and trauma in this video but the tissue not boucncing back is what i want you to see)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Te-uVGTnkc​

He doesn't have pitting edema. It is more like when I give him long petting strokes, I see the fur pressed in. When he shakes himself off, the fur bounces back to normal.

Here is a video of pitting edema ( now it does not need to have excessive bruising and trauma in this video but the tissue not boucncing back is what i want you to see)

Sorry for the repeat I was fixing a typo *

Then this is normal. It may be that his undercoat is coming in as he gets his adult fur.

We can see this in both long and short haired cats. It is most likely a normal seasonal change and is not a concern for his health at this time

What do you mean his undercoat is coming in?

Cats have 2 layers of hair typically the under coat is more fluffy, for lack of a better word, and the top coat is where we see more pigment and it is not as soft typically.

It is more exaggerated in dogs like in German shepherd dogs, or Huskies, but we do see it to a lesser degree in some cats

It is winter right now where I live. So if his undercoat is growing, shouldn't the fur which is more fluffy be more bouncy instead of dented in?

If the undercoat is fine enough it will not bounce back. Some cats have a very thin undercoat which can result in what you are seeing.

Does this mean he has a thin top coat as well?

It may start to fill out more in the next few weeks to months, but it is not a health concern. No it means that his under coat is a little thin right now, but it is not a health concern for him.

More than likely in a few weeks it will fill out and if it does not then this is his normal for winter. Every cat is a little different

Have a good day and a good Holiday!

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Did you have any further questions?

If not, could you take the time to rate my assistance so the site credits me with helping you? Thank you so much

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney