Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

For three days now my kitten has started having severe

Customer Question
For three days now...

For three days now my kitten has started having severe neuirologic (sp) problems. She cannot control her head. It just flops around except when she is sleeping. Her back and legs are the same. She can only flip around her bottom and legs. My vet has never seen this before.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your kitten. What is the kitten's name?

Alpha

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Alpha?

Alpha is the runt of four kittens born about 3 months ago. He sits in my lap a lot to stay warm and he has had conjunctivitis of the eyes.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Alpha. The problem is likely to reflect anatomical malformations in her brain rather than reflect a metabolic disorder such as hypoglycemia or the rarer lysosomal storage diseases which are genetic disorders resulting in accumulation of large undigested products of cellular metabolism inside cells. Hydrocephalus which is characterized by an increase in volume of cerebral spinal fluid is one of the more commonly recognized congenital (present at birth) central nervous system disorders in young cats with clinical signs becoming apparent in kittens as young as 2 - 3 months of age. Because Alpha was a runt, a congenital brain defect such as hydrocephalus must be an important consideration.

Infectious diseases that affect the brain such as toxoplasmosis and the FIP virus are important considerations as well although I would expect other kittens in the litter to be symptomatic of toxoplasmosis is that were the case.

The diagnostics needed to clarify Alpha's behavior are advanced and best performed by a specialist veterinary neurologist (www.acvim.org). Cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis as well as imaging in the form of X-ray and MRI are likely to be recommended. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian