Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 5 cats one has runny eyes and lots of phlem 2 are…

Customer Question
I have 5 cats...

I have 5 cats one has runny eyes and lots of phlem 2 are sneezing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Nenoe is the 6 years old I think she has a cold she wasn't like this yesterday

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Neneo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Hard breathing feels warm

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your cats. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common of the infectious respiratory agents that causes the sneezing and conjunctivitis you're seeing. Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, I'll prescribe the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - to address those bacteria. The over the counter (available in some feed stores or online except in California) ophthalmic antibacterial ointment Terramycin is a good choice for a bacterial conjunctivitis. Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but I can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if I believe that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as your cats continue eat, drink, and act normally in spite of their symptoms, they don't need to be attended to by their vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian