Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 1 1/2 yr old cat is coughing up foamy red blood. Crimson.

Customer Question
My 1 1/2 yr...

My 1 1/2 yr old cat is coughing up foamy red blood

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?

Crimson

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Crimson?

He has recently been vet checked, negative for worms, heartworms, feline leukemia, etc in October.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Crimson. I'm so sorry to hear that he isn't feeling well.

When did the coughing start?

Any other symptoms? vomiting/diarrhea/lethargy/change in appetite?

Yesterday early evening he was fine, jumping up to the bar looking for treats, rubbing on us, etc. last night he began choking up bright blood with bubbles and mucus. In the last 24 hours I’ve cleaned up nearly 20 spots, usually in groups of 3. Now he is choking up clear reddish brown with coffee ground looking stuff or phlegm in it. He won’t eat or drink. Very lethargic but no signs of soreness. Tail wagging strongly.
He is indoor/outdoor kitty. Uses doggy door. I haven’t seen signs of itinerary or feces.
Of “urine” or feces

Thank you for that additional information. Can you tell if he is coughing or vomiting?

To me it’s coughing or choking, like when a cat coughs up a hair ball. He seems to gag and push bloody mucus out.

Ok, that sounds like vomiting. When they bring up a hairball it is from their stomach.

Does he do a series of retching (abdominal contractions) prior to producing the bloody mucus?

I suspect it is vomiting, as the "coffee ground" like material you describe is consistent with digested blood being vomited up from the stomach. Regardless if it is coughing or vomiting, my recommendation is the same:

He needs to be seen by a veterinarian ASAP, tonight if you have an emergency hospital in your area.

When a cat is bleeding and losing fluids this quickly, he can become very dehydrated and his condition can become severe very quickly.

A full hands-on exam is needed and then the veterinarian will recommend bloodwork +/- xrays to help diagnosis his condition.

I will be retiring soon and logging off for the evening. I hope Crimson is able to be seen soon and receive the treatment that he needs.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

Hi Patti,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian