Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

She is 19 years old she has isolated her self for about 2…

Customer Question
She is 19 years...

She is 19 years old she has isolated her self for about 2 months she dont eat food drinks a little water and is very weak her breath smells horrable

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Tabby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tabby?

We had her to the vet last year and she was fine. about a year ago her owner passed and since then she has been going down hill. i have 2 other cats and they dont even come in to the same room and they used to be close

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. While some of these issues can be behavioral and may have even started out that way, I would be very concerned that she has some serious medical issue. It could be cancer, kidney failure, diabetes, liver problems, pancreatitis or hyperthyroidism to name a few. Given that she drinks only a little bit of water, it most likely isn't kidney or diabetes related, but either can cause a bad odor to the breath. If ruling those out, then cancer would be my primary concern. If she is eating very little to no food now, cats can actually develop a serious liver issue called hepatic lipidosis in as little as 3 days. My best advice at this point is to have your vet run some blood work. Most of the time, the cause of the issue will be apparent there, but with her age, they will most likely not find anything is curable, and euthanasia may be better for her in the end. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Tabby is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian