Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She hasnt been eating since yesterday and has bee throwing…

Customer Question
Hi, she hasnt been...

Hi, she hasnt been eating since yesterday and has bee throwing up frothy sick

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

I dont think so, shes an outdoor cat so wouldnt know for sure shes usually very food driven and has no interest now

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Princess 4yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Princess?

4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Princess?

Still drinking but low energy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to her that your girl is not eating, vomiting foam, has diarrhea, and seems lethargic.

Her lethargy may be related to the primary disease process that is making her sick, or it may be related to dehydration and low blood sugar/electrolytes being off balance from not eating.

Vomiting foam simply is a mix of air and stomach/esophageal mucous made when she retches, it is not indicative of any disease process but tells us she is quite nauseous.

Repeated episodes of vomiting can be related to chronic pancreatitis, a systemic viral or bacterial infection, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure, ketoacidotic diabetes, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

Being an outdoor cat toxin exposure, an infection or a foreign body would be the most likely possible causes.

There are some things that we can do at home now to support her, but if she isn't bouncing back quickly then I would recommend testing for immunosuppressive viruses (feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency viruses), a complete blood count and biochemistry profile as well as a urinalysis to start.

If those look fine then I recommend a fel spec PL (feline specific pancreatic lipase) and testing for heartworm.

If those tests are done and come back normal the next step is an abdominal ultrasound and/or either exploratory surgery or endoscopy to gather biopsies of her gastrointestinal tract to look for inflammatory bowel disease or cancer.

In the meantime you can try giving her an acid reducer to see if that helps. You can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotodine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 to 24 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These are very safe and can be used long term if necessary.

You might also try feeding a homemade bland diet to see if that helps. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 2/3 boiled, shredded white, skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled, plain, white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer, more palatable and easier to eat and swallow.

But if she is not bouncing back she really needs to see her veterinarian as soon as possible for an exam and testing.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian