Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Belly rash pinkred scabs and black spot where you think she…

Customer Question
Belly rash pinkred scabs...

Belly rash pinkred scabs and black spot where you think she would have black hair growing but it's not. She licks more as it gets worse. Changed her food to Royal Canin on it 2 months now. Has had steroid shots and rash disappears fora month or so black spot and all then returns

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Miss Kitty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

I've had for her for 2 1/2 years now and I got her when she was probably six years old her owner had passed away.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

What is the name of the Royal canin formula she is on? There are lots of different formulas.

Has she ever been allergy tested, with a blood test or skin test, to see what she is allergic to?

So I do not repeat something you have already tried, what have you tried besides the royal canin and steroid shot?

Right now she is on selected protein adult pr wet food and dry food too. She tried another dry Royal Canin food and the treats and threw that up a lot so I went back to her Purina for indoor hair ball cats. She would throw that up once in a while too. Since she has been on this RC pr no upchucks. For the first year in a half I had her there was no rash at all.

Thank you.

Your vet probably already told you this but she probably has allergies.

The most common allergies are food, flea saliva, and environmental.

She could have one of those or more than one allergy.

A blood test would tell you what she is allergic to.

There is no cure for allergies.

Allergy shots can desensitize them to allergens and are 50-70% effective.

So it sounds like you have already addressed the possibility of food allergies.

If she is indoor only, and you have no other pets and have not seen fleas or flea dirt, that would make flea bite allergy less likely.

Environmental allergies would be high on the list. Especially if she responded well to the steroid or cortisone injection.

The blood test would tell you what environmental allergens she is allergic to.

If she will let you, wipe down the area at least once a day to remove any allergens. Allergens get on the skin and go through the skin to cause an allergic reaction. You can use a wet warm wash cloth.

Over the counter antihistamines may help a bite.

Try 1/2 of a 25 mg benadryl tablet every 12 hours.

Or

1/4 of a 10 mg Zyrtec tablet every 24 hours.

Those are over the counter human antihistamines. We can use them in pets too.

If the skin is really red, and there are sores or crusts, it may be infected and she will need a course of antibiotics from the vet.

Topically apply over the counter hydrocortisone cream mixed with neosporin 50:50 twice a day.

Put a cone or ecollar on her for a few hours after application to prevent her from licking it off. It is not toxic if she licks it off but could cause gastrointestinal upset.

Does all of what I wrote make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the starts at the top of the page as that allows the website to give me credit for my work.

Many thanks.

How is Miss Kitty doing? Were you able to try any of the recommendations? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the starts at the top of the page as that allows the website to give me credit for my work. This is how I support my furry family.

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian