Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Won't eat, prominent third eyelid (white) at both eyes,

Customer Question
Won't eat, prominent third...

Won't eat, prominent third eyelid (white) at both eyes, lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Spot, close to 12 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Spot

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spot?

Already took Spot to local vet, blood work battery was negative for problems, cat is acting "dizzy". I am currently force feeding him with a feeding syringe. Also temp was very slightly elevated.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Spot is acting lethargic and dizzy. I am curious to know more about the dizzy behavior. Is Spot stumbling or having trouble walking?

sometimes, not always, weak

Ok, thank you. One last question. has there been any loss of appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea? Did the blood test rule out leukemia or FIV?

Cat is not eating, I'm currently feeding with a feeding syringe. No vomiting. Blood test was negative for leukemia & FIV as well as negative for elevated counts.
No diarrhea.

Thank you for that information. When the initial blood tests do not show an underlying cause for lethargy then the next step is to get some imaging tests performed. A x-ray or ultrasound would be the best option. Causes of being dizzy could be associated with an infection, dehydration, or inner ear disease. If an infection is found then antibiotics would be necessary. Since there is no history of vomiting or diarrhea then the cause of not eating would need to be determined if it is from the dizziness. Cats can still have nausea even though they are not vomiting and an ultrasound or x-ray will help to determine if that is happening. Some treatments that might be effective to discuss with your veterinarian are steroids and an antibiotic regimen.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is Spot doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian