Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 7 month old cat got into soft plastic fishing worms. He…

Customer Question
My 7 month old...

My 7 month old cat got into soft plastic fishing worms. He didn’t eat any of the actual worm but it would appear he licked off any residue that was on a one inch portion of one. He’s thrown up twice in the last 24 hours. All undigested food but I’m starting to get concerned that he can’t keep food down. He is not tender in his belly and is still wanting to eat and drink and use the litter box fine but he can’t seem to keep any food down.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Not really. I picked up his food and was going to start making chicken and white rice thinking maybe he has some inflammation or irritation is his GI Tract

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your cat. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with vomiting. If these don't work, I would strongly urge you to take him to the vet for a check up today or tomorrow.You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help spark his appetite if the chicken and rice isn't to his liking. Let me know if you have any other questions.If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian