Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My car is old 16.5yrs. recently she slowed her eating,

Customer Question
stopped pooping and began moaning...
My car is old 16.5yrs. recently she slowed her eating, stopped pooping and began moaning. This was after a period of white vomiting. I tried softer foods even puree snacks (inaba churu), which she loved at first, but the last two days she won't eat those now and seems like she can barely walk. She moans a lot more, too, and has tried to get outside, which is rare for her. It was the weekend so I haven't taken her anywhere yet, but any ideas? Is it worth going to the vet, or is she just old and dying?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

It sounds like she really needs to see a vet. I do think taking her to the vet is a good idea. If you just wait and see if she gets worse, or passes away, you will not know if she was just sick and could have been treated or if it was her time to go.

In terms of over the counter care, until you can get her to a vet, rub some honey or karo syrup on her gums every 3-4 hours to help keep her blood sugar up.

If her gums are dry she is probably dehydrated. Buy a syringe or eye dropper as well as a bottle of children's pedialyte drink. Give around a teaspoon, with your syringe or eye dropper, every hour until her gums are moist again.

To help settle her stomach, try 1/4 of a human 10 mg Pepcid AC tablet every 12 hours.

If you can not get her to swallow it by sticking it down he throat you may crush it and put it in the syringe with water.

Hi Brandy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Missy. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby