Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have an old cat with kidney disease. His stools are small…

Customer Question
I have an old cat...
I have an old cat with kidney disease. His stools are small and desiccated. He will strain for over 10 minutes to poop. If I buy tuna in oil, how much should I give him? Can he have just the oil, but how much? Thank you.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth - I'm so sorry your question wasn't responded to sooner - different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about Murphlee's problem, and want to help. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

Constipation is very common in cats with kidney disease unfortunately, and we do often have to get them on something consistently to help get their stools softer and more comfortable to pass.

Does Murphlee eat any canned cat food?

but not enough. He prefers dry food. We're trying to wean him off it. I thought if we drizzled tuna oil over his dry food, it will help loosen the stools.

Tuna oil would not hurt, though it can be variable whether it will make a difference. You could start with a small amount like 1/2 tsp twice a day to see if he would eat it on his dry food.

If you can find any moist food that he likes, we often see more consistent results using a powdered stool softener like Miralax which is available over the counter and is tasteless.

Even cats that are not big fans of moist food, often will eat a meat flavored baby food. Usually they like the very plain flavors by Gerber, Delmonte, or Beechnut, just meat with the gravy like chicken, turkey, or ham. Check the ingredient list that no other flavors like garlic or onion has been added. Sometimes warming a little can help make it more appealing too.

If he were to eat something moist like that plain for a spoonful or two, you would likely be able to mix in miralax powder without him tasting anything, it acts as a water magnet to keep more water in the stool. That is also a bit of trial and error for how much will be needed to get the stool softer, but often will be eaten readily by the cats if they like the baby food.

You could also ask your vet about a liquid stool softener called Lactulose, that could be squirted in the mouth, it is prescription but not very expensive and does not have much of a taste.

Any luck getting Murphlee to take the oil on his food, or were you able to get some baby food to see i h has any interest in it?

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian