Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He has been vomiting foam all day. Last night it started…

Customer Question
He has been vomiting...

He has been vomiting foam all day. Last night it started with vomit that had remains of what he last ate. Which was his cat food, wet and dry. I first thought he may have eaten some of the dogs wet food. It appeared to be that in his vomit. Today it's been fluid, watery and foam. I just forced a syringe with 4 mil of water in his mouth. He is resting now

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Simba and he is 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Simba?

No. This was just something that came on last night. He was perfectly fine all day yesterday.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/11/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 2 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience. I am so sorry to hear Simba is experiencing this high level of vomiting.

Unfortunately vomiting is a nonspecific sign that can indicate one of many potential problems ranging from ingestion of an unusual item that upset the system to GI foreign body lodged in the system (obstruction) to pancreatitis to organ issues (live, kidney) to cancer and the list continues.

My first concern is if he has not been eating/drinking well and having a lot of vomiting he may be becoming quite dehydrated. I am happy to read you got some water into him but it is hard to keep up with a small syringe. If he is listless/lethargic with no energy then I must recommend you have him seen on emergency tonight. If he seems reasonably normal in his activity and is drinking then you could observe him until the morning and then having him seen by his veterinarian first thing.

Other indications this is a medical emergency is if there is any blood in the vomit (didn't sound like it), he has any trouble breathing, disorientation, or profuse diarrhea.

If he was my patient and you were unable to have him seen tonight then the one thing you may safely administer at home that I might recommend iis famotidine (pepcid AC) 10mg 1/2 tablet once. This may help with nausea. It has no bad side effects.

He has no diarrhea and no blood in his vomit. Just watery and foam vomit. He walks around and then comes back and lays near me but now after I gave him the syringe of water he is resting. He will be going to the vet in the morning. He's not limp or lethargic. This just started last night and he was himself yesterday until he vomited about 8:30 pm. He did try to eat a little earlier. He licked the gravy from the wet food and ate a couple of pieces of the food. He then threw that up later. I will see if we have some Pepcid in the medicine cabinet. Thanks for your help. I will be making a trip to the vet in the morning.

I like the fact he tried to eat and seems to have some desire to do his normal acitivties. Great that he got a bit of the gravy around the food down, even if it came up. I think you would be safe to monitor him overnight.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

is Zantac okay to give him

With Zantac, give 1/4 tablet once a day.

I have pepto bismo too. Is that ok

I do not recommend this in cats. Some cats can have an adverse reaction to it.

no pepto? Just Zantac ?

Yes. That is correct.

Well I just ripped my medicine cabinet apart and thought I had Zantac but I have Prevacid and nexium
Is either of them okay to administer any amount?
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Prevacid (lansoprazole) and Nexium (esomeprazole) are proton-pump antacids safe to give to cats anecdotally at 0.25 - 0.75 mg/lb once daily. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian