Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

When my dog tries to poop nothing comes out., 18 months. She…

Customer Question
When my dog tries...

When my dog tries to poop nothing comes out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Murphy Brown, 18 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Murphy?

She has never been diagnosed with any health problems and the only medications that she takes are monthly flea and heartworm preventatives

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since the last time she had a bowel movement?

2- Did she get into anything?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Breed?

5- Any other symptoms?

I’m not sure exactly how long it has been - probably 36 hours. She had mucous looking diarrhea yesterday afternoon. She threw up last night and barked several times during the night to go outside. We live in the country, so most of the time I just let her out and she comes back when she is done. Today I followed her to see what was happening and she was trying repeatedly without any results.She doesn’t have any other symptoms right now.We live out in the country so she could have gotten into something that I don’t know about.She is a Miniature Australian Shepherd and she weighs about 29 lbs.

Is she eating and drinking?

1- Is she lethargic?

2- Any other symptoms?

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, when a dog is having difficulty defecating we need to try to determine if this is secondary to being constipated, inflammation in the large intestines, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. In this case, if she had diarrhea with mucus yesterday afternoon it is fair to assume that her straining is not related to constipation as she would not have had enough time to build enough feces to become constipated. So, it is likely that her straining is secondary to inflammation in the large intestines which can happen as a result of infections, parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, etc.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian, fecal analysis and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter