Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a 15year old haired cat and for the last three months…

Customer Question
I have a 15year...

I have a 15year old long haired cat and for the last three months he will vomit everyime he eats.He is on grain free,gluten free food

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Yes he eats only his food and a small amount of tuna once a day

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Murphy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Murphy?

He is long haired and gets skin allergery very esay

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Murphey today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Has Murphy been examined by your vet for this yet?

Is he losing weight?

Does he have a history of intermittent vomiting prior to this?

Are his stools formed?

The vet know he vomits hairballs,about the food she told mr to change to gluten free,grain fee which I did He has lost about 2lbs. Stools are formed.H does have allergies which he is treated for. I do not know if he needs meds or he is just getting old and can no longer digest food

How are is allergies treated? Is he on any medications?

he is on benerdryl for cats and sometimes steroids for imflamation and ear drops if ears are infected
I am waiting to see if you have an answer
seems like you are not going to answer so I am done with you guys

Aging in cats is not a disease and would not be expected to cause any digestion problems.

This is a very common scenario in cats and it is likely that there is disease present, but that it is hiding very well. Most of the time with the symptoms you describe, the most likely location of the problem is the GI tract. Some cats have a low grade flare up of pancreatitis which can be a challenge to confirm as it is not always evident on routine bloodwork. Along with that, many of these same cats also have a degree of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or even slow growing intestinal cancer. Unfortunately, either of these can be present and there can be no other abnormalities noted on bloodwork, xray or even ultrasound, although these tests should be run to rule out other conditions that present with the same symptoms. There is a specific GI blood panel that can be requested and if abnormalities noted, can lend support to either pancreatic or intestinal disease. The only way however, to confirm the diagnosis is with a biopsy of the intestine. This can be done via endoscope, but is better performed with an exploratory surgery. The problem with this is that many cat owners are not willing to pursue the diagnosis by these means. It is for that reason that many cats are "suspected" to have IBD or GI cancer as the cause of their weight loss and anorexia once all of the other easy to find things have been ruled out.

I suspect that may be where you are at with your cat. If that is the case, you can discuss with your veterinarian the pros and cons of proceeding with a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis in your pets situation. Even if you choose to not go the route of biopsy, he may benefit from a course of corticosteroids and perhaps a diet change. There are other medications and supplements used to manage IBD as well. Steroids help many cats with either of the two conditions to control vomiting and gain weight, but if there is intestinal cancer, the result may be short lived.

I would recommend that you have your vet proceed with a GI work up and if the diagnosis is suspected to be IBD, consider a trial of medication to evaluate response.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian