Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is lithorgicand he came to sleep on my bed (unusual

Customer Question
He is lithorgicand he...

He is lithorgicand he came to sleep on my bed (unusual except when he is sick). His nose is dry and warm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Bandit

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bandit?

Four or five

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bandit?

He may have gotten his hands or paws on a mice with rat poison.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Bandit.

1. Can you tell me the color of his gums?

2. When was the last time he urinated? Any abdominal pain when you feel in between his legs?

3. Taking the temperature in a cat isn't always easy but do you think you could manage it?

Thanks, Deb

his gums are pink, no abdominal pain. I don't have a thermometer.
no call necessary

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. I'll thank you in advance for your patience since my responses tend to be a tad on the lengthy side.

And, my state board prohibits telephone conversations so I'm glad this format is acceptable to you. Deb

Gum color is normal which is good as is the fact that he doesn't have abdominal pain. If he did. then I'd worry that he has a bladder obstruction which would be considered a medical emergency.

Even if he ate a mouse that had been killed with poison, he wouldn't be at risk for poisoning himself (this is called relay toxicosis). He would need to ingest many poisoned rodents for the poison to affect him.

There actually could be several explanations for Bandit's behavior;

1. He could be running a fever. I understand about not being able to take his temperature but if you manage to do so, normal is between 100 and 102.5 F. Of course, then we'd have to wonder why the temperature is elevated which could be secondary to a viral or bacterial infection.

There is also a condition in cats that is called Fever of Unknown Origin--this is exactly what it sounds like which is that we can't find an explanation for the elevated temperature. Treatment is primarily supportive which consists of fluids and drugs to reduce the fever. Most cats recover very quickly once therapy is started.

2. Pancreatitis is a condition which can develop quite suddenly; these cats often have a reduced or no appetite and can become lethargic. We don't have a good explanation for why this happens, either.
We do have a testing for this condition although I've come to doubt its reliability in some cases; treatment consists of fluids and pain medication (we believe the pain is why these cats behave as they do).

3. Other systemic diseases such as kidney disease, liver disease, anemia, problems with the heart, etc. although he's a little on the younger side for such serious issues.

4. Some cats will just have "off" days and return to normal after 1-2 days with us none the wiser as to why.

Maintaining hydration with water or Pedialyte is important,especially if there’s a fever. If he's not drinking on his own, you can dribble this into the side of the mouth where there's a gap with an eye dropper or syringe every several hours. If he is still drinking, you can mix canned food with a lot of water or tuna juice and see if you can get him to"drink" his meals.

I typically like to suggest otc medication but in this case, it wouldn't be advisable since cats are so sensitive to many of these drugs and they could cause more harm....the last thing I'd want to do.

If he continues to behave this way and/or worsens, then a vet visit may be wise.

I hope this helps, Deb