Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has kidney disease and i believe he is anemic also.

Customer Question
Hi! My cat has...

Hi! My cat has kidney disease and i believe he is anemic also.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

He's sleeping and has bad mouth odor

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Onzo and I think he is 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Onzo?

I don't think so. I have blood test results

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Can I get a prescription for IV fluids?
12/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Emily Bemrose,
 replied 8 months ago
Emily Bemrose

Hi my name is***** and I'm happy to try to help. I'm sorry to hear about Onzo. Kidney failure makes them lethargic and sleep a lot due to being dehydrated. The dehydration comes from the fact that even though they drink water, the kidneys don't work well to absorb it so it runs right through them. You would have to go to your vet to get fluids. The fluids they can provide you to use at home are given subcutaneously and they can teach you to do this. IV fluids require an IV catheter and administration in the hospital. This can help to do initially to get your cat feeling better, and then you can continue with subcutaneous fluids at home. This is often the best approach to helping their symptoms. Let me know if there are more questions I can answer, but it sounds like it would be wise to take your cat into your vet to have him checked.