Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat needs to be euthanized. Can it be done today? I am…

Customer Question
My cat needs to...

My cat needs to be euthanized. Can it be done today?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?

I am moving to Utah. He is 10 years old and he is experiencing fluid build up around his heart. Between the expense to be on constant medication for the rest of his life and the stress of the move, I've come to the conclusion he will be more comfortable not to make the move.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

He does not have specific pain that I can tell but he is listless and sleeps most of the time

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?

Oliver

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?

He originally was my daughters cat. She died 2-1/2 years ago of brain cancer. He dedicated himself to being with her to the end and doesn't know what happened to her. I have tried to fill in but it hasn't worked. He has been in the care of Dr DuPont in Rocky Hill since I moved my daughter to Ct 5 yrs ago

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/10/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today - to make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I'm so sorry to hear about Oliver's issues, heart problems can be quite complicated in cats and stress can definitely make things worse, as a move could potentially do.

As many vet offices are not open on Sundays, it can sometimes be a little trickier to find a hospital that is open, but often there are options for an emergency clinic to be able to do euthanasia. If you enter your zipcode at vetlocator.com , it can tell you what hopsitals are closest and which would be likely to be open on the weekend.

Usually for something like this, if you explain the medical history, the meds Oliver has been on, and what will be changing for the home situation, they will normally not require you to do any tests etc to do the euthanasia.

I know this is a very difficult decision all around, and especially with his connection to your daughter - but for something like this I think most any vet would be understanding of the situation, even though they have not been his regular doctor.

One thing to be prepared for, they will ask how you want to handle things afterwards, in terms of taking him home with you to bury, vs have cremated for disposition, and with cremation there is normally the option for it to be a private cremation where the ashes are returned to you, or a general cremation if you don't want to have anything back.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask-

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not response time or any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

I appreciate your time to answer my question but what I got was what I could find in my phone without asking for help. Guess that part of it was a total waste of time. Please stop sending me reminders that my answer is ready. It's getting annoying.

The site is set up automatically to send you an alert when there is a response, unfortunately I don't have any control over that but I will not post anything again unless you ask-

If I didn't answer the main question you had, I apologize - if there is something else you wanted clarification with please let me know and I will do my best to help.