Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a burmese and he has a sinus issue going on..He

I have a burmese...

I have a burmese and he has a sinus issue going on..He sometimes coughs, has watery eyes and a person can hear his congestion in his nose. The vet has him on Apoquel 5.4 mg for possible allergies and a nose drop of Prednisolone Acetate Ophthalmic Suspension. This gives him some relief, but doesn't take care of the problem. What do you advise?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?

Coco and he was 4 years old this past July.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

No, he's had the blood test for feline leukemia and checked out fine.

12/9/2017
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I’m CalCatDoc and I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Are you currently available to chat about this here? I do have a few questions to ask you to help me give you a helpful answer.

Has Coco been sneezing at all? How long has he had this cough?

Is he squinting his eyes at all? Any ocular discharge?

Is he eating okay?

I'll wait to hear back from you. If the system asks you about a phone call that is strictly optional. I normally just use this chat window.

Send me your response, please..Thank you

Unfortunately, I need more information before I can give a meaningful, appropriate response.

Not to worry. I'll opt out and let another vet pick up your question.

He sneezes occasionally, but coughs more. He's been coughing since he's gotten this congestion in his sinuses. Almost like a nasal drainage in his throat. No squinting and the discharge in his eyes is like a sleep matter that collects in the corner of his eyes. His appetite is good!
Thank you
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

It appears your first expert has left this conversation. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long has been coughing?

Was a chest Xray taken?

There are many things that can cause coughing and congestion: infections (viral, bacterial, fungal), allergies, asthma, polyps in his nose. Does blood ever come out of one or both sinuses?

No blood has ever shown.

That is good; with a severe infection or a polyp you often see blood.

Since he is coughing, I would consider doing a chest Xray to see if he has evidence of asthma. Apoquel and the nose drops won't help much with asthma.

I might also get a sample of fluid from his nose to look at under a microscope to see if there is a lot of bacteria, white blood cells, any indication of infection (viral, bacterial, fungal).

Would you recommend continuing the meds he's on now or try something else?

Apoquel is more for skin/itchy allergies than respiratory allergies. Usually for respiratory allergies in cats, I would use prednisolone.

If this is an infection, he might need antibiotics.

the nose drops are more effective than the pills...The pills are very expensive ($2.00 a pill) and Coco has no itching or skin problems. Is there anything that people use that can be used on a cat? I think the nose drops are universal for animals and pets, but wonder if there's anything else or what you would suggest. I will get a nasal sample to take to my vet.

The nose drops contains steroids, which could be treating allergy and/or inflammation.

Anti histamines for people can be tried, but are often not effective in cats. You can try 10 mg of Benadryl, twice daily, or 2.5 mg Claritin once daily.

It is best for the vet to collect the sample, to get a really fresh sample to examine microscopically.

Thank you, I've got some insight to take to my vet.

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing.

I sure well... and Thanks again!

You are welcome!

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Just have one more thing....What kind of cat food do you recommend for burmese cats?

No particular diet for a particular breed. I base food recommendations more on individual age, weight, and medical conditions. In general I like Royal Canin diets, but there are many other good diets out there.

Please let me know how he is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer, to notify the website I am assisting you!