Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has a recurring viral infection in the eye. Today his…

Customer Question
I need help. My cat...
I need help. My cat has a recurring viral infection in the eye. Today his eye and ear are swollen shut. There are no 24/7 emergency vets near me and I’m on call for my job at the hospital so I’m limited in my travel. Additionally it’s snowing. I don’t know what to do. He is already on lysine 500mg BID and had a script for fancyclovir which just expired. Please help!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/9/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I would recommend picking up some Genteal from the drug store, preferably in the ointment form, but drop's work too. It is an over the counter eye medication that is safe to use in cats. It will help to open the eye as well as keep the eye lubricated. Unfortunately, there is no other over the counter medication you can use for this issue. I would apply this topically to the eye every 12 hours.
What about Benadryl for swelling?
You can try Benadryl (1mg/lb every 12 hours) but it doesn't always help for an issue of eye swelling in these guys.