Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Again, Doctor Salkin. I have adopted a new cat this year…

Customer Question
Hello, again, Doctor Salkin. I...
Hello, again, Doctor Salkin. I have adopted a new cat this year that would come and eat my other cat's leftovers. He showed up around February and I took him to the vet just on Tuesday to test him for a microchip before I displaced him from the neighborhood. They told me his owner's were unable to be found and that 'he was mine' so I brought him to a new house. I was concerned the cats would run off and get lost so I kept them in the garage and hardly let them out this last week as I transitioned them and this cat, Rayo Azul, was fine when I took him to get a microchip check and they said 'he's looks like a good cat' and he had a huge appetite and just about 36 hours ago I noticed he seemed dehydrated so I gave him water and today I noticed he was just laying and not moving much. I took him outside more and he wouldn't move when I put him down. His eyes seem to go into a gaze. I gave him water and he drank some. I tried to put his mouth close to the bowl once more and he fell over into the bowl and that's when I knew he was really bad. He had been eating but he's losing touch now and it seems very sudden. I had some shell fish in oil like small oysters and I offered him some and he wouldn't eat it and he usually eat anything and has a big appetite. I put some in a baby bottle and gave him the oil and he then took a few steps to the bowl but couldn't get the energy to actually eat any oysters. He did drink some water. I also fed him some egg in the bottle and some spilled on him so I bathed him and dried him and put him by the heater. When I bathed him, I found a clogged nipple kinda like a blackhead, I think, and I cleaned it but it seemed odd to me. I'm really not sure he'll make it through the night. I gave him some coconut oil to try to give him some high calories and he drank some and looked a bit annoyed he didn't like it so I stopped. I'm keeping an eye on him near my bed now. It seems like wherever I put him, he just lays there. When I cradled him, his head was even going back like about to pass out before I gave him the oyster oil. I hope he perks up tonight and doesn't get worse. Please let me know what you think and if moving him out of his neighborhood and keeping him indoors might prompt this type of downfall. Thank you, Juanita
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/9/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Juanita. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Rayo Azul, please? Regretfully, as sick as Rayo Azul appears, his symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder and so he needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. I'm going to look at your other post now.

I took him to the vet after an am apt and he didn't make it. I tried what I could last night but his dehydration went from moderate to fatal overnight, from my perspective. He passed around 10am. I'm a bit shocked still b/c he was fine earlier this week and the thing I changed was that I was watching him 24/7.

Oh my. My condolences for your loss. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rayo Azul (Blue Lightning). How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian